These prophecies give credence and credit-ability to the BIBLE. If the prophecies did not come true GOD would not be real. And the Scriptures would be invalid.
Four (of the many) prophecies pertaining to the birth of the MESSIAH continue to amaze me as I re-read them this Christmas season……..
According to the WORD the SAVIOR had to be:
1. Offspring of a virgin. (Isaiah 7:14)
2. Born in Bethlehem. (Micah 5:2)
3. Called out of Egypt. (Hosea 11:1)
4. A Nazarene. (Isaiah 11:1)
How in GOD’S Green earth can 1 person fulfill all of that?
1. Offspring of a virgin. Uh? Okay, this is a miracle. Yep. I don’t need my health classes to figure that one out. But born of a virgin…that said “Yes, LORD.”…a virgin that believed GOD…a virgin that embraced the call…a virgin that held on and didn’t let go…all her life. WOW.
And Joseph, the husband that didn’t “divorce” Mary. That didn’t shame her. That didn’t have her killed. That chose to believe GOD and care for Mary and his stepson. Hmmm.
2. Born in Bethlehem. Ruler, Caesar Augustus, sees fit to order a census of all the inhabited world. And ya gotta go. Cause its law. Back to your roots. Back to your people. Back to your family’s town. And be counted. Mary, being betrothed to Joseph, has to make the trip with her man. And while in Bethlehem it came about that the days were completed for her to give birth.
3. Called out of Egypt. King Herod gets wind of the news…a new king has been born! A promised king! A ruler! This infuriates King Herod. No one is gonna take his place. In an attempt to destroy the newborn king, Herod orders all the baby boys to be killed.
Simultaneously, the LORD warns Joseph in a dream, and Joseph rises in the night and takes the child and his mama to Egypt…away from the ruling powers of Herod. There they live…until they are “called” out of Egypt, by GOD, to return to Galilee.
4. A Nazarene. When the LORD told Joseph that King Herod was dead and it was safe to return to his country, Joseph loaded up his young family and headed to the regions of Galilee and came and resided in a city called Nazareth. All through the New Testament, JESUS is referred to as JESUS of Nazareth.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a SON is given: and the government shall be upon HIS shoulder: and HIS name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace….Isaiah 9:6
Just exactly as the BIBLE said a few thousand years ago.
GOD’s gift to man…born of a virgin, in the little town of Bethlehem. Called out of Egypt, to be a Nazarene.
All wrapped up in a bundle in the manger, strategically, deliberately, mercifully. GOD came to man.